After a tightening procedure, your skin will be very delicate and require special care. You’ll want to avoid anything that could irritate you, such as sweating or exposure to water. In addition, you don’t want your pores to close up again, so be sure not to wear makeup for at least 24 hours after your treatment. Slowly reintroduce these elements into your life so you can enjoy the results of the skin tightening procedure without worrying about damaging your skin.
Decrease or avoid activities that cause sweating.
You may be advised to avoid activities that cause heavy sweating. Sweating can irritate the skin and cause dehydration. Avoiding strenuous activity will speed up recovery time.
Avoid swimming or any water activities.
As you recover from your skin tightening procedure, taking care of your skin is essential. You should avoid swimming or going in water (hot tubs, warm baths) for 48 hours after your procedure. This can be irritating and dry to the skin and can delay healing.
Also, avoid facial cleansers that contain alcohol as well as harsh exfoliants like microdermabrasion or scrubs until at least one week following treatment. These products can cause irritation or dryness, which could slow healing down or even lead to infection in some cases.
Don’t go outside without sunscreen.
The sun is the number one cause of skin damage, which is why it’s so important to protect your skin while recovering from a tightening procedure. Your dermatologist will likely recommend using sunscreen daily (this is a forever rule, not just after treatment) and avoiding the sun between 10 am and 4 pm. Still, they’ll also give you specific instructions depending on your procedure.
Here are some general tips:
- Use sunscreen with an SPF between 30 and 50 every day, even if it’s cloudy outside.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses outside, even for a few minutes. Don’t forget your lips either; use lip balm with SPF daily.
- Wear long sleeves or pants while outside. You might even want to consider wearing gloves or sleeves over your hands.
Avoid makeup for at least 24 hours.
After skin tightening, you should also be aware that you must avoid makeup for at least 24 hours. You will want to use a gentle cleanser and pat dry. Avoid exfoliating or rubbing so that the pores are open to accept moisture.
After cleansing, moisturise with a product with ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, glycerine or vitamin E. Avoid using products with alcohol or other drying elements on your skin is essential.
Slowly and gently incorporate these elements back into your life as you heal.
It is essential to take care of your skin after the procedure. As you heal, slowly and gently incorporate these elements back into your life:
- While it’s best not to exert yourself during recovery, avoiding heavy exercise is especially advised.
- Avoid swimming or going in the water. The pressure of the water could worsen incisions or cause infections.
- Use sunscreen every day with an SPF 30+, and wearing protective clothing is a must. Sun exposure can cause pigmentation issues for darker-skinned patients who have had laser procedures done on their face or neck (even if they are not visible right away).
- Don’t forget this step! Avoid makeup so that your pores are open enough to accept moisture from creams and lotions better (this will help prevent dryness).
The goal here is to keep your skin healthy and happy, so it can help you look younger and feel good about yourself.