Gastroscopy allows doctors to examine the inside of the upper digestive tract, including the esophagus, stomach, and the first part of the small intestine. This procedure is crucial in helping to diagnose and treat a range of digestive problems, such as acid reflux, ulcers, and early-stage cancers.
This blog post will closely examine why gastroscopy is a vital procedure. We’ll also look into choosing the right gastroscopy clinic in Singapore, so keep reading to learn more.
What is Gastroscopy?
Gastroscopy is a diagnostic procedure that involves inserting a long, thin tube equipped with a camera and light into the mouth and down the throat to the upper digestive tract. This tube is called an endoscope, and it enables the doctor to view the inside of the esophagus, stomach, and the first part of the small intestine.
The procedure is performed under sedation to minimize discomfort and ensure that the patient is relaxed throughout. During the gastroscopy procedure, the doctor can take biopsies, remove polyps, or treat certain conditions using instruments passed through the endoscope.
Why Gastroscopy is a Vital Procedure
Gastroscopy is necessary for many reasons, as it provides a detailed look at the inside of the upper digestive tract. This allows doctors to diagnose and treat various digestive problems in ways that were previously not possible. Here are three reasons why you shouldn’t ignore or wait too long for a gastroscopy if your primary doctor has recommended a visit to a gastroscopy clinic in Singapore;
Early Detection of Digestive Problems
One of the major benefits of gastroscopy is that it allows for the early detection of digestive problems. In many cases, digestive issues can be asymptomatic or have subtle symptoms, making it difficult to diagnose without a detailed examination.
Gastroscopy provides a clear and detailed view of the inside of the digestive tract, allowing doctors to detect problems early before they become more serious. This early detection can lead to earlier treatment, better outcomes, and improved quality of life for patients.
Diagnosing and Treating Digestive Disorders
Gastroscopy is also an effective way to diagnose and treat digestive disorders, such as acid reflux, ulcers, and early-stage cancers. During the gastroscopy procedure, the doctor can take biopsies, remove polyps, or treat specific conditions using instruments passed through the endoscope. This makes gastroscopy a one-stop solution for diagnosing and treating many digestive problems, eliminating the need for multiple procedures.
Improved Overall Digestive Health
Finally, undergoing a gastroscopy can lead to improved overall digestive health. The procedure provides a comprehensive look at the inside of the digestive tract, enabling doctors to detect and treat any problems that might be present.
This can improve digestion, reduce symptoms, and improve overall health. Additionally, regular gastroscopy can help monitor any conditions’ progression and ensure that they are treated effectively over time.
Choosing the Right Gastroscopy Clinic in Singapore: Factors to Consider
Choosing the right gastroscopy clinic is crucial to ensure you receive the best care and accurate results. With so many options available, knowing where to turn for your gastroscopy procedure can be difficult. So, how do you choose the right gastroscopy clinic in Singapore for your needs? Here are five pointers to guide you;
- Experience and Qualifications of the Doctors: When choosing a gastroscopy clinic, it’s essential to consider the experience and qualifications of the doctors. Look for a clinic with experienced gastroenterologists with extensive training in performing gastroscopy procedures. Additionally, it’s a good idea to look for doctors affiliated with reputable hospitals or medical institutions.
- Quality of Equipment and Technology: The quality of equipment and technology used during a gastroscopy procedure is crucial. Look for a clinic that uses state-of-the-art equipment and technology to ensure accurate results. Additionally, ensure that the clinic regularly maintains and updates its equipment to ensure it is always in top working order.
- Comfort and Ease of the Procedure: Gastroscopy can be an uncomfortable procedure for some people, so choosing a clinic that strongly emphasizes comfort and ease is important. You may want to look for a clinic that uses sedation to minimize discomfort during the procedure and has a friendly and supportive staff to help you feel at ease.
- Cost and Insurance Coverage: The cost of a gastroscopy procedure can vary greatly depending on the clinic, so it’s important to consider the cost and your insurance coverage when choosing a clinic. Look for a clinic that offers competitive pricing, and be sure to check with your insurance provider to see what is covered.
- Availability of After-Care and Support: Finally, choosing a clinic that offers after-care and support is important to help you through the recovery process. Look for a clinic that provides follow-up appointments, support groups, and other resources to help you manage your digestive health after the procedure.
Preparing for Gastroscopy: What You Need to Know
Undergoing a gastroscopy procedure can be a bit stressful experience, but preparing for it beforehand can help minimize any stress or anxiety you may feel. Here are some important steps to prepare for your gastroscopy procedure.
- Discuss Your Medical History with Your Doctor: Before your gastroscopy procedure, it’s advisable that you have a frank discussion with your doctor about your medical history. This includes any previous surgeries, allergies, and current medications you may be taking. This information is crucial in helping your doctor determine the best course of action during the procedure.
- Fast before the Procedure: On the day of your gastroscopy, you will typically be asked to fast for several hours before the procedure. This means not eating or drinking anything, including water, before the procedure. Follow your doctor’s instructions carefully to ensure the best results.
- Plan for Transportation: Gastroscopy is typically performed under sedation. This means that you will not be able to drive yourself home after the procedure. It’s important to plan for transportation in advance by having a friend or family member take you or arranging a taxi or rideshare service.
- Wear Comfortable Clothing: Wearing comfortable clothing for your gastroscopy appointment is vital to help you feel at ease. Avoid wearing tight or restrictive clothing that may make you uncomfortable during the procedure.
- Inform Your Doctor of Any Concerns: Finally, it’s important to inform your doctor of any concerns or questions you may have before the procedure. Your doctor is there to help you, and it’s essential that you feel comfortable and confident about the procedure.
It’s a Wrap!
Gastroscopy is an important diagnostic procedure that can help to uncover the underlying causes of digestive problems. Choosing the right gastroscopy clinic in Singapore and preparing for the procedure correctly ensures you receive the best possible care and results.
At Alpine Surgical Practice, our experienced and compassionate gastroenterologists team is committed to providing our patients with the highest quality care. So, if you’re looking for a top-notch gastroscopy clinic in Singapore, look no further than Alpine Surgical Practice.
We’re here to help you get the answers you need to feel confident and comfortable during your gastroscopy procedure. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards better digestive health.
Alpine Surgical Practice – Colorectal Screening | Colonoscopy | Hernia Surgery Singapore
3 Mt Elizabeth #17-16
Mt Elizabeth Medical Centre
+65 8875 0080