A skin doctor is also known as a dermatologist. Get a feel of a skin doctor’s clinic on this page: https://thedermclinic.com.sg/.
Dermatologists are like skin experts who focus on helping people with problems related to the skin, hair, and nails. They have special training in understanding and treating conditions affecting these body parts.
So, it doesn’t matter whether you have an itchy rash, or want to reduce wrinkles. Or maybe a serious skin condition like psoriasis or melanoma.
Your skin doctor in Singapore is a specialist to see. They deeply understand how the skin works. So, they’re best placed to provide the best care and advice to keep your skin, hair, and nails healthy.
At What age should you see a Dermatologist?
When it comes to seeing skin doctors, one of the questions we get most often is; at what age should you see a dermatologist? And what should you expect? Here’s what your skin doctor in Singapore would want you to understand if you have any of these concerns;
Many people begin seeing a dermatologist around the age of 12. This is typically when puberty starts. At this age, hormonal changes can lead to acne breakouts. So, it would be best to consult a dermatologist if you experience acne or warts.
If you don’t have these concerns, you can wait until your early 20s. From here, you can start with the annual visits.
Regular checkups with a dermatologist can help monitor your skin’s health. So, it will be easier to catch any potential issues early on. Here’s what you can expect during your first visit to a dermatologist:
- A comprehensive skin evaluation: During your initial visit, the dermatologist will conduct a thorough examination of your skin. During this exam, they will assess your moles, and birthmarks. They will also pay attention to any other areas of concern. This evaluation helps establish a baseline for your skin health. It also enables the dermatologist to detect any changes in the future.
- An open discussion of medical history: The dermatologist will inquire about your medical history. They will want to know any past skin conditions you’ve had, allergies, medications, or treatments you have undergone. Please, provide accurate information on these details. Being truthful here is important as the information you give will aid in formulating an appropriate treatment plan and ensure your safety.
- Addressing specific concerns: Inform your skin doctor in Singapore if you have specific skin concerns like acne, eczema, or psoriasis, for example. They will discuss these in detail with you. They will specifically ask questions about your symptoms, duration, and previous treatments. They will also provide expert advice and recommend appropriate treatment options based on the information gathered.
- Prevention and skincare recommendations: Dermatologists are not only focused on treating existing conditions but also on preventive care and maintaining overall skin health. So, you can count on them to provide reliable guidance on sun protection, and skincare routines. They can also advise on the best lifestyle modifications to promote healthy skin.
What other Time should you go to a Skin Doctor?
There are several reasons why you might be referred to a skin doctor in Singapore. Here are seven most likely instances that may warrant a visit to a skin doctor’s clinic;
- If you have stubborn acne: There is no shame in seeking the help of your skin doctor if you have stubborn acne. Acne that doesn’t improve with OTC medications, diets, and cleanses, should be checked by a dermatologist. They will assess you and provide valuable recommendations on managing and treating your acne. Importantly, they can also help you regain confidence and put your best face forward.
- If you get scars from acne, blemishes, or cuts: A dermatologist can provide the much needed help if you’re bothered by the appearance of scars. Depending on the scars or blemishes, they can recommend advanced medical techniques like laser treatment therapy and microdermabrasion to reduce the visibility of scars. In fact, there are so many treatment options. So, you do not have to feel self-conscious about your scars. All you need to do is reach out to your skin doctor in Singapore.
- If you have or patch of the skin or a mole that has changed: Any changes in the color, size, or shape, of a mole or patch of skin shouldn’t be overlooked. These changes could be indicative of skin cancer. And as you probably already understand, it really helps to detect cancer early. With early detection, you can almost rest assured of better outcomes in the hands of a specialist. And what’s more, your skin doctor in Singapore can also teach you to perform regular skin checkups to monitor changes.
- If you have skin irritation that doesn’t improve: ‘Normal’, red and flaky skin should improve with OTC creams and lotions. If yours doesn’t improve, you may be dealing with a chronic skin condition. When referred to a skin doctor in Singapore for these symptoms, they will assess your condition and identify the cause of your skin irritation. After that, they will provide suitable treatment options. They can help you manage and find relief from your persistent skin issues.
- If you’re experiencing hair loss: Do you notice more hair than usual on your pillow? Or experiencing strange hair loss? If so, discuss these concerns with a board-certified dermatologist. They can evaluate your scalp, and diagnose any underlying scalp disorders. Based on the diagnosis, they can provide appropriate therapies to address your hair loss concerns. Early intervention and preventive treatments can help maintain your hair and overall appearance.
- If you get itchy hives or rashes that don’t resolve: Persistent hives or rashes could be indicative of an allergic reaction. They may also be due to a hideous skin infection. Consult a dermatologist to uncover the underlying cause and receive appropriate treatment. Depending on the cause your skin doctor may prescribe medications or suggest alternative therapies to alleviate your symptoms.
- If you have nail disorders: Nail disorders like ingrown nails, fungal infections, or warts can make going about your day-to-day activities daunting. And what’s more, they may also make you feel a little uncomfortable about yourself. But did you also know that your nails can also reveal signs of other body disorders like liver disease, heart conditions, anemia, or diabetes? If you experience any symptom of nail disorders, make a point of seeing a skin doctor. Thanks to their skills and understanding of nail disorders, they can diagnose and treat these conditions effectively.
Starting dermatology clinic visits at around 12 is normal. It is particularly common for patients experiencing acne or warts.
Otherwise, you can wait until your early 20s to initiate annual visits. Other than that, your GP may also recommend appointments at any age if they suspect that you have skin conditions that need to be checked by a skin doctor.
We specialize in both adult and pediatric dermatology. Schedule an appointment today for expert care and proper skin health for you or your children. Call or visit us at;
The Dermatology Clinic
321 Joo Chiat Pl,
#05-01A Parkway East Specialist Hospital,
+65 6320 0310