Coconut oil is derived from the kernels, meat, and milk of the coconut palm and fruit. Two types of coconut oils are available in the market—refined and virgin. While the refined version of the oil is a processed oil that is treated with heat and chemicals, virgin coconut oil refers to the unprocessed version of the oil which has not been deodorized, refined, or bleached with chemicals. The virgin oils always carry the essence and natural fragrance of the fruits and plants they are extracted from, making them far healthier than their refined counterparts. Virgin coconut oil has many health benefits and can be used for both skin and hair betterment, especially during winters.
Virgin coconut oil on skin and hair:
- Virgin coconut oil can be used to hydrate hands after washing. Applying just a couple of drops of coconut oil on your skin makes it moist and soft.
- Virgin coconut oil on skin can be used for shaving instead of the chemical cocktail called shaving cream, particularly when shaving tricky areas like underarms and legs. Coconut oil smells amazing, is inexpensive, and has naturally hydrating properties that do not make your skin look greasy.
- Most massage oils either have coconut oil or jojoba oil in them. You can always cut out the middlemen and directly use the oil on your skin for a relaxing massage.
- Makes for a rejuvenating DIY body scrub with ingredients easily found in our kitchens. The scrub is inexpensive, chemical-free, moisturizing and great for the skin. Take ½ cup coconut oil in a pan and heat it at a very low flame, put 1 cup of brown sugar or salt along with a few drops of any essential oil of your choice.
- Virgin coconut oil on skin also acts as a natural sunscreen.
- Virgin coconut oil or cold pressed coconut oil can be used as a hair mask. Heat up some cold pressed coconut oil and apply it evenly on your scalp and lengths. If you have oily scalp, apply the oil only on your lengths and keep it for 2 hours. Shampoo and condition as per usual.
Cold pressed coconut oil is mostly made from flesh of coconut, as they have high oil content. After grinding the flesh of the coconut into flakes the oil is extracted using a press at room temperature. It is a long and intensive process which helps in retaining the nutrients, essence and natural fragrance of the fruit in the oil.
Cold Pressed Coconut oil can also be used for making your teeth and mouth healthier—a process called Oil Pulling. It helps by freeing up the immune system to reduce stress and inflammation. This boost of energy helps in reducing acne, headaches and the best thing is that it also helps in reducing weight.
For Oil Pulling, take 1 spoon of coconut oil in the morning before brushing your teeth and gargle with it for about 10 – 15 minutes, you can also do it while taking a shower to save time. Then gargle with warm salt water to remove toxic debris stuck in between the teeth and repeat this daily for a dazzling smile.
Even though cold pressed coconut oil contains 90% saturated fats, it is actually good for the heart as it contains medium-chain triglycerides.
Users of virgin coconut oil on skin have reviewed Indus Valley 100% Pure Carrier Coconut Oil as a superior product currently available for winter care.
In case you have valuable insights on the discussion at hand, please feel free to write to us through the “Comments” section below.