Charlton and Perivale pounds

If you’ve received a form 3708 seizure notice or your vehicle was seized on suspicion of being driven without a driver’s license or valid insurance, attend our seized vehicles page to seek out the proper information.

Here, you will find information on what to try to to if your vehicle was impounded by the police because it was:

  • stolen, and located by us
  • involved during a collision
  • parked illegally
  • involved during a crime
  • driven in an anti-social manner
  • causing an obstruction or danger
  • abandoned after an event involving the police

How to reclaim your vehicle

If your vehicle has been impounded and is being kept at one among our pounds you’ll receive a notice letter when it’s ready for collection. This letter will contain detailed instructions and allow you to know which pound your vehicle is being kept at.

To reclaim your vehicle you will need to travel to the right pound to prove your identity and your ownership of the vehicle and pay any statutory charges.

What you want to bring with you

Proof of identity – valid photo ID

This means either:

  • passport
  • driving licence
  • EU national card
  • immigration document
  • Freedom Pass
  • We won’t accept a student or employer’s ID.

Proof of ownership

This means either:

  • the full log book (V5C), or
  • a new keeper supplement (V5C/10) along side a verifiable and ‘in date’ bill of sale


Unless the vehicle is being faraway from the pound on a Car Pound Recovery Charlton it’ll need either:

  • a valid MOT (depending on the age of the vehicle), or
  • evidence of a pre-booked MOT appointment

Insurance certificate

If you do not have a legitimate policy you cannot drive the vehicle on the road. you will have to get rid of it from the pound on a Vehicle Pound Recovery | Need Car Recovery Services Recovery truck.

If someone is reclaiming the vehicle on your behalf

If the legal owner of the vehicle can’t attend the pound face to face then somebody else can collect on their behalf.

The person collecting the vehicle on your behalf must bring with them the documents listed above and also:

  • an authority letter – a letter signed by you giving the person the authority to gather on your behalf
  • a copy of your passport or driver’s license – so we will verify the signature on the letter of authority
  • a valid certificate of insurance

Collecting property from an impounded vehicle

If you would like to urge property from the impounded vehicle, but not the vehicle itself, you would like to bring proof that you are the vehicle’s owner or registered keeper (a V5C or V5C/10).

Someone else can collect on your behalf. they have to bring:

  1. a letter of authority, signed by you, giving them permission to gather property from the vehicle
  2. a copy of your passport or driver’s license so we will verify the letter is signed by you

Please note, if the vehicle is badly damaged it’d not be possible to urge into it to get rid of property.

If your vehicle has been issued with a PG9 prohibition notice, isn’t roadworthy or won’t start

If your vehicle has been issued with a PG9 prohibition notice, isn’t roadworthy or won’t start, you would like to rearrange for a totally trained, equipped and insured vehicle recovery operator to gather it at your own expense.

We don’t allow vehicles to be repaired while they’re at the pound (this includes changing tyres, repairing windscreens or jump starting).

Where possible the pound staff will attempt to assist you with jump starting. you will have to sign a jump-starting indemnification form.

Recovery operators

If you are a recovery operator collecting a vehicle from the pound you must:

  • read and sign the ‘Recovery instructions and operator’s declaration’ (available in Downloads below)
  • produce the right paperwork as explained within the ‘Documents required by recovery operators for recovery from the pound’ (available in Downloads below)
  • comply with the ‘Loading and unloading guidelines for recovery operators’ (available in Downloads below)
  • bring a letter of authority from the owner or keeper, as explained above, if they do not come to the pound with you

Things to remember of

Bring a group of keys, just in case the driving force didn’t leave the keys within the vehicle.

If the vehicle was during a collision and you’re unsure it’s roadworthy, consider having it recovered by knowledgeable recovery operator.

We highly recommend taking your vehicle to a garage for a security check if you’re getting it back after it’s been stolen.

The police, including all pound staff, can’t advise on whether your vehicle is roadworthy.

If your vehicle doesn’t have correct number plates and you’re planning on driving it, you want to bring valid replacement plates once you collect it.

Provisional driver’s license holders

If you’re driving under a provisional licence you want to bring someone who:

  • is over 21 and
  • has held a licence for quite three years

Make sure you’ve got L plates on the vehicle.

If you forget to bring them, you’ll buy some at the pound.

Payment of charges

Statutory charges apply to most vehicles removed to a pound, depending upon the rationale for removal.

These charges are set by government, not the police, and vary counting on the load and condition of the vehicle.

In most cases where the vehicle isn’t badly damaged or off the road, the fees will be:

  • two-wheeled vehicles: £150 removal charge and £10 per day storage
  • cars and lightweight vans: £150 removal charge and £20 per day storage

Please note, the daily storage charges start from midday the day after the vehicle was seized.

We can’t accept payment over the phone; the cardholder must come to the pound.

We don’t accept cheques or American Express card payments.

We do accept:

  • cash (British currency only)
  • Visa card
  • MasterCard
  • Maestro card
  • Solo card

If you don’t want to reclaim your vehicle

If you don’t want to reclaim your vehicle, this is often called ‘disclaiming’, you would like to travel to the pound with proof of identity and proof of ownership.

You’ll have to pay the disposal charge (where applicable), but you will not be asked to buy the outstanding removal and storage charges.

You’re still responsible for any penalty charge notice which will are issued for a parking offence (where applicable).

Disposal charges:

  • Car and lightweight van: £75
  • Two wheeled vehicle: £50

Once you sign the vehicle disclaimer, it’ll be disposed of immediately , by scrapping or by sale at auction. You’ll not be liable for taxing and insuring the vehicle.

Binta Hawa

BintaHawa has been a part of the journey ever since started. She has a special curiosity for events and stories revolving in and around the world. BintaHawa an uncompromising form of journalistic standard for her audiences.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Healthke - Editior

Typically replies within a day