So, there is a misconception among people that well-being is just about your physical health. That is actually not true at all. Your health is comprised of two components — your body and your mind. And to look after them with utmost care is crucial.
How you FEEL is equally – if not more – important as what you EAT. You can’t just ignore one and expect to accomplish your goal of a healthy and content body. We’re afraid it doesn’t quite work that way.
Hence, without further ado, please stick with us till the end because the conversation is about to get interesting. We are now going to shed light on how deeply your emotional and physical health are linked together and throw in some easy steps you can take to improve them both!
What is meant by Mental Health?
Growing up, we ALWAYS heard the phrase, ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
Little did we know it was just half of the reality. While sure, apples offer you loads of iron and keep doctors related to physical health away, what of your brain?
Being mentally healthy can refer to like a bazillion things, depending on person to person.For some of you, it can refer to being surrounded by your loved ones or pets.While for some, it could be indulging in your favorite hobbies, doing something that gives you a sense of direction – a goal that you strive to accomplish with dedication.
For some of you, mental well-being might even mean trying out new cuisines, exploring new places, meeting new people, or even experimenting with fashion.
The essence being:
Your mental health needs you to be happy and content, not stressed out or unsatisfied with your life and work.
How is Healthy Mind Connected to Overall Well-being?
Now, as we discussed earlier, well-being means physical and emotional aspects both. So, looking after both of them is necessary.
Why is this the case?
Because people with a healthy mind are aware of their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, and have the understanding of healthy ways to cope with their stress and problems. Problems are a normal part of life for everyone, but finding the right ways to cope with them will allow you to keep your mind in a good place.
Have you noticed when you face a problem, like a loved one’s death, and you feel physically low? That is because your body responds to the way you think, feel, and act. An example of this is a high blood pressure after a stressful event.
Healthy Mind, Healthy You. How?
So, on one hand, you have a healthy diet, eat your veggies, like a responsible person. This affects how much energy your body has. A healthy diet means you feel active and strong.
On the other hand, you take care of your mental health too, you find ways to cope with your stress healthily and know how to retrace your steps to feeling happier and better.
But, it doesn’t end there. “We feel emotions in our bodies” –Dr. Arthur Barsky.
A healthy mind is crucial for a healthy body. Toxins are not just stress signals sent to the body, but they also comprise of mental stresses and disturbances. A mind with toxins will get fatigued quickly. Consequently, a mind without toxins will be sharper and work more efficiently by finding better and healthier solutions to take care of all the problems that you may face in your life while also improving your memory.
So, it’s true; healthy mind, healthy you.
Tips to Ensure Healthy Minds
Now that we know how and why taking care of your mental health is important, let’s talk about some tips to do so.
- Take time out to relax every week. Things can get overwhelming for you, and you should know when to stop and give yourself some time to relax. Otherwise, you will just get exhausted, and things will get more challenging.
- Exercise every day. This will help deliver oxygen to the brain, improving your memory as well as your reasoning abilities and behavior. This will significantly reduce stress and improve your energy.
- Find your passion. Finding and pursuing it will be the greatest thing in your life. Your energy will be limitless and give you a sense of strength that we all so badly desire. Your brain will be engaged regularly in something you love to do, and you will notice a visible difference!
- Challenge your intellect. Try learning a new language or playing a game like chess. This is great for your brain health and your social life.
- Manage your physical health too. Not doing so will have a massive toll on your mental health since you will keep worrying about it. If you look after your health and visit the doctor regularly, you can prevent future problems, and thus, avoid stress.
- Engage yourself in stimulating conversations and games with your friends. You can talk about endless topics and allow your brain to grow and explore things.
- Read often to keep your mind engaged in exciting and creative things. This will positively exercise your brain.
- Keep in touch with your friends. There is nothing like catching up with your friends!
- Ask for help. None of us is perfect, and there are times that we will get exhausted. If that’s how you feel, ask for help from your friends, family, or your primary caregiver,who may be able to offer you help.
- Stay grateful – maybe by writing down a few things you are grateful for every day might have a good impact on you?
We hope you found our guide helpful. Remember, mental health is equal to a thousand blessings. A happy soul is the one who actively practices the balance between physical and mental health.
Make sure to maintain your mental health to reap the benefits in the form of a happy and healthier you!
Erica Silva is a blogger who loves to discover and explore the world around her. She writes on everything from marketing to technology. She enjoys sharing her discoveries and experiences with readers and believes her blogs can make the world a better place.
Find her on Twitter: @ericadsilva1