Pigmentation is the tanning or darkening of the skin due to melanin, which is a pigment released by cells called melanocytes. Melanin creates color in the body by absorbing light. As all people have distinctive DNA structures, there are wide ranges of different pigments that affect an individual’s appearance.
Though pigmentation isn’t harmful, it can affect your appearance and cause emotional distress thus warranting consultation for pigmentation treatment. Singapore has many aesthetic clinics that provide effective treatments for pigmentation so you’re in luck if you’re living in Singapore or just want to get your treatments there.
Pigmentation is a very common problem, especially in the face area, due to overexposure to strong sunlight but it can occur in any part of the body. While many people with pigmentation problems seek treatment to improve their appearance, some may do it for health reasons or self-confidence boost.
What are the Causes of Pigmentation?
There are many types of pigmentation, and the causes vary by type. If you’re battling pigmentation, the most common types that could be troubling you include;
- Freckles: Freckles appear as small, dark patches of skin caused mainly by exposure to sunlight. They are usually found in areas that have been exposed to direct sunlight, such as the face, nose, back, and arms.
- Pigment spots: When pigment cells form clumps together in one area instead of being spread out evenly throughout the skin, it leads to a condition called hyperpigmentation. These brown-colored splotches can be flat or raised above your normal skin texture, making them more visible on the surface. Sunspots are another common result of aging, but they can also form due to hormonal changes related to pregnancy or thyroxine
- Liver spots: When the cells in your skin are exposed to too much sun, they make melanin, but it can’t be dispersed evenly by your body. That’s why you may see liver spots as age spots on certain parts of the body where there is little or no pigment. It is very common for people with lighter complexions to have these brownish flat spots develop on their face, hands, and forearms over time. Age spots are caused by aging and excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays from sunlight or tanning beds that break down collagen and elastin fibers to form pigments that later cause freckles, age spots, tans, and t lines.
- Melasma: Melasma or chloasma is a very common skin condition that causes brownish pigmentation on the face. It’s often related to hormonal changes during pregnancy, the use of contraceptive pills, and other medications like anti-seizure drugs and steroids.
How to Remove Pigmentation
If you have developed pigmentation on the skin and it impacts your emotional well-being, don’t worry. There are safe and effective options for pigmentation treatment in Singapore that can help you feel more confident about your skin.
There are many ways to treat pigmentation, ranging from topical creams to chemical peels and laser treatment depending on the individual skin type. You can visit a dermatologist or spa for professional advice on which method is best suited for your skin type. Here are the typical recommendations that may help:
- Laser Treatment: Laser is one of the most popular and effective solutions to treat skin problems like age spots, freckles, and other forms of hyperpigmentation that result from sun damage. It works by penetrating the top layers of your skin with a safe, invisible beam of light energy called laser. The laser beam selectively targets melanin pigment without harming surrounding tissues. After laser treatment, new skin cells grow and multiply to replace dead skin cells caused by ultraviolet radiation or aging. This helps improve the look of the treated area while also preventing further skin discoloration in the future. Laser can be used on all types, including Asians, to help lighten dark spots and freckles.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels are another efficient way of removing sun damage like age spots and pigmentation that often occurs with age-related changes in your skin. This method uses various chemicals such as salicylic acid, glycolic acids, and alpha hydroxy acids to peel away the top layer of dead skin cells and expose fresh new layers underneath. It can also promote collagen production and repair damaged tissues for an overall refined appearance.
- Tretinoin Creams: Tretinoin creams contain vitamin A derivatives which can cause significant results after consistent use over time. It is FDA approved acne medication; however, it’s also effective in treating hyperpigmentation and giving skin a more even tone. It works by promoting new skin cell growth to replace old, damaged skin cells that were caused by the sun or aging.
Home Remedies for Pigmentation
The thought of having to deal with pigmentation and the various options for pigmentation treatment in Singapore may be overwhelming for some people. Fortunately, there are lots of home remedies that you can use to help control hyper-pigmentation issues without spending too much money or visiting a dermatologist every day.
- Cassia alata – This plant is sometimes called “Golden Tea” or “Kassod Tree.” The leaves of this plant contain more than seven times as many antioxidants as acai berries, making it a powerful natural remedy against aging and hyper-pigmentation issues.
- Noni: In clinical studies, fresh Noni juice has been shown to effectively lighten age spots and other darkening areas on the skin naturally without any side effects. Its naturally occurring acids work as exfoliants to smooth the skin without causing redness or irritation.
- Turmeric: This spice has powerful anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce dark areas that form on your skin in response to sun damage. To use it topically, you can purchase turmeric cream in most Asian grocery stores and apply it directly onto affected areas daily for at least two weeks.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is another antioxidant with strong exfoliating properties, which makes it a terrific natural remedy against hyperpigmentation issues like age spots. You can get vitamin C naturally from oranges, grapefruit, kale, broccoli, and other foods high in natural antioxidants. Alternatively, you can include plenty of these foods into your diet or take dietary supplements if needed.
The Bottom Line
Pigmentation is a common issue that affects an individual’s self-esteem. There are various ways to reduce the appearance of pigmentations on your skin.
Home remedies may be an appealing treatment option if you’re strapped for cash but you may need a great deal of patience to get the results you crave. This is in contrast with expert-guided acne scar treatment in Singapore where you have the best chances of noting improvements and the least risks of complications.
At Veritas Medical Aesthetics, we provide a range of skin treatments that can help you achieve a more even skin tone. Visit us today to learn more about our age spot laser treatment or other skin rejuvenation seminars. For more information, call or email: +65 6283 email@example.com.
Veritas Clinic Singapore – FUE Hair Transplant | Acne Scar Removal | Tattoo Removal
13 Stamford Rd, B2-35 Capitol Singapore, Singapore 178905
+65 8129 9789