Acne is a condition occurring in the skin that can affect anyone. It usually appears during puberty, but it may also happen in adulthood. Acne develops in the face when the pores in the skin’s surface become clogged from natural oils, dead skin cells, and dirt. There are various triggers to this, such as:
- Changes in hormones
- Hair products
- Skin care products
If you have been suffering from this condition, then you can read more about the effective acne treatments in Singapore in this article.
Types of Acne
To effectively treat acne, we must first identify it according to its type:
- Cystic acne
- Fungal acne
- Hormonal acne
- Nodular acne
— Acne of this type is characterized by reddish inflammations in the skin that are painful and filled with pus. Cystic acne develops deep in the skin and is considered as a severe type of acne that should be treated by a dermatologist. Cystic acne can cause scar formation due to its nature of forming in the deeper layers of the skin.
— As its name obviously suggests, this type of acne is classified by inflammation that may sometimes be itchy. Fungal acne, medically known as pityrosporum folliculitis, is caused by bacteria or fungi build up in the hair follicles.
— The overproduction of the skin’s natural oils is the culprit behind hormonal acne. The oils get clogged up in the pores, which results in inflammation and skin irritation.
— Acne nodules are large and firm inflamed bumps in the skin. Like cystic acne, this type also develops deep in the skin. Nodular acne is painful when touched and can also lead to scarring.
Symptoms of Acne
There are many ways that acne can show in the face:
- Cystic lesions
— This type of acne is caused by dead skin cells and excess oils that get stuck along with the hair follicle in the pore of the skin. Blackheads are called as such because they appear as tiny black spots in the skin. They get the black color as the light hits the skin and reflects against the trapped follicles of hair.
— These are lumps deep in the skin that are filled with pus and painful when touched.
— These are large and solid lumps beneath the skin that are painful to the touch.
— Commonly known as pimples, these are characterized by bumps on the skin that may be pink or red in color, these inflammations are sensitive when touched.
— Also a kind of pimple, this skin flaw can be identified by a red bump that has a whitish or yellowish center. The inflammation contains pus that may either be yellow or white in color.
— This type of acne is located at the skin surface. They appear as tiny white lumps. Whiteheads occur when skin cells and oils in the skin become clogged and impedes the opening of the pore for a hair follicle.
Severity of Acne
The severity of acne is classified according to the amount of acne present in the skin:
- Mild acne
- Moderate acne
- Severe acne
|Severity of Acne
|• Less than 20 blackheads or whiteheads
• Less than 15 swelling bumps
• Less than a total of 30 skin lesions
|• More than 20, but note over 100 blackheads or whiteheads
• More than 15, but not over 50 swelling bumps
• More than 30, but not over 125 skin lesions
|Severe Nodulystic Acne
|• Multiple inflamed bumps in the skin that are composed of cystic and nodular acne.
• May be deep red or deep purple in color
|• Severe type of acne
• Affects the arms, buttocks, chest, and neck
• Involves swelling nodules that connect with other nodules beneath the skin
• Occurs more in men
• Usually caused by steroids or testosterone
How to care for your skin and avoid acne development
The best way to avoid acne is to treat your skin well. Follow these tips:
Cleanse your skin
- — Use a gentle and mild facial wash to clean your face. Do this after you wake up, before going to bed, or after sweating heavily. Remember that the skin on your face is delicate, so do not use sponges or washcloths that can cause irritation when applying your facial cleanser. Using your finger tips will do.
Use skin care that is suited for your skin type
- — Skin care products can make or break your skin. Be sure to check the ingredients before buying and applying toners and moisturizers. Choose products that are non-comedogenic, meaning they won’t cause pore clogging, and free from alcohol.
Hands off your face —
- Our hands touch a lot of things throughout the day and they can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Touching your face with unclean hands can result in acne development. If you have pimples present, avoid touching them or pricking them as this can cause infection and become more severe. Picking on your acne also leads to scarring.
Effective Acne Treatments in Singapore
If you have been trying to get rid of acne with home remedies and over-the-counter cures, but have failed consistently, then you may need the intervention of a medical professional. There are various ways to treat acne ranging from medical skin care, oral medications, to aesthetic procedures that are non-invasive or may be accompanied by powerful equipment.
Your doctor will create a treatment plan depending on the type of acne and its severity.
Medical skin care
- — These are medicated topical skin care products that are clinically formulated to treat skin that are plagued with blackheads and whiteheads. Medical skin care works to release the clogged oil in the pores, minimize inflammation, and delay the production of sebum.
- — This type of treatment is best for acne caused by bacteria or hormonal changes. Prescription medicines, such as anti-androgens, oral contraceptives (for women), or antibiotics are given to be taken for a certain period of time to target the underlying cause of acne development.
- — Laser treatments work well to prevent the recurrence of acne once they have been stabilized. These treatments help in minimizing the pores, as well as lighten or improve the surface of the skin where scars are present.
To know more about these treatments, book your appointment at Harmony Aesthetics Clinic.
Harmony Aesthetics Clinic
101 Irrawaddy Road, #09—01
Royal Square Medical Centre
Phone: 6970 5418
Whatsapp: 8822 3089